Monday, November 23, 2009

HOT! Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup

Last Friday, the Boy-O and I went for lunch together at Honeypie. It was one of the better restaurant experiences for us lately, I suspect because it was just the two of us. He sat opposite me at our table in the window, and really was being quite impressive. He ordered his grilled cheese, on the list of his acceptable foods, and I just ordered a bowl of soup: Creamy Curried Carrot.

I haven't had a carrot soup in quite awhile, and this one was great. I just needed to ask for the Sriracha, since I like things hot. That one bowl was enough for the day, but I really had a taste for it again today. I thought I'd make some, but I'd make sure to add enough heat for me not to need to add any additional.

Well, it's Hot, I'll tell you. I finished making it just after lunch, and had a little cup full just to be sure it was seasoned properly. I'll list my approximate proportions here:

Hot Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup

  • 2 T. or so olive oil and/or a little butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 T. more or less Hot Curry Powder
  • 1 t. or so powdered ginger
  • 5 or 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 good size sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • about 6 c. chicken stock or veg stock or even water
  • salt and pepper (I used California Seasoned Pepper and a good shake of Aleppo, since I can't seem to omit it from anything)

Saute onion in oil or butter until translucent, about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add curry powder and ginger powder and stir for one minute. Add all the chopped veg and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, pop on the lid, and simmer gently for a half hour or so until the vegetables are soft. Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender (taking care not to seal it up all the way if it's hot). Adjust spices with salt and peppers.

You could add a whole host of other nuanced spices if you feel like it, I think nutmeg and maybe even a little allspice would be good. I'm also planning to splash it with a little half and half before I serve it to my Mom tonight. Oh, and I'm going to make a few candied walnuts for the top... I think it needs something crunchy.

Such a cheerful fall color...

The other highlight of Friday's impromptu lunch was the Boy-O having to have dessert. I know I could have said no...but I confess that I truly am bewildered at the deliciousness of their baked goods. Of all the things in the case, he picked out a gingerbread cupcake with cream cheese frosting. I was surprised he didn't go for the Black Forest Cupcakes that were copiously finished with whipping cream and cherries...that's what I would have gone for.
I let him eat 1/3 of it there, since it was the size of a small cake, and we took the rest with us. It was delicious, studded with golden raisins, and definitely not in the non-fat gingerbread category. After this Thanksgiving, I think I'll have to break out my favorite gingerbread recipe, one from the Gramery Tavern that has Guinness. Until then, since I'm hosting this year, I'm back in pie making mode.

1 comment:

  1. Will have to talk to you about getting a hold of that gingerbread recipe... sounds awesome.

    As for the carrot soup, it also has my interest picqued. Am normally not a fan, but when you say it's SPICY, I become intrigued. Am filing that away for the future.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is a good thing, most of the time...