Friday, April 24, 2009

I will never doubt you again...(or The Case of Salmon Roe Addiction)

Tonight we were going to go for dinner, but our boy, 2.5, was under the weather. So we ordered take away from Lotus Restaurant, a Japanese/Chinese place in nearby Oak Creek. I have eaten here several times - the first time scrupulously because it offers both Japanese and Chinese, but we are not exactly smack dab in the middle of a culinary hotbed here on the near southside of Milwaukee so we checked it out. When our boy was mere months, we were semi regulars since he was a great dinner companion when he was a small tot... Now we eat there only every once in a while, but tonight we had the best meal ever...and completely by accident.


My husband pretty much said this was what we were getting: Amazing Sushi. Really, that is what it was called. It was described as "7 pcs double sushi (2 kinds mixed and 1 crabmeat hand roll)". It didn't sound too amazing to me. But I admit when I am wrong. I had wanted to order regular sushi maki rolls. He insisted. I said fine, I'm sure it will be good. But I thought only good, not GREAT, not the best amazing sushi I may have ever had...


We've eaten at many sushi places, some not so great holes in the wall, some really good, some super expensive. But none of my experiences came close to eating these 7 pieces of double sushi with my husband while boy was watching I Spy in the living room. I only wish I thought to photograph each piece before eating. Only after the satiating first few bites, did I regain composure enough to think of it...
Look at them, in the dimming light of our first really warm day in Wisconsin: they are perfect. We had already gulped down the kobe beef one, neither of us had ever had anything like it.





I never had salmon roe before, but I tell you this: I will definitely be having it again. If I could find a reasonable way to have this in my fridge at all times, I can already think of about 100 ways to use it. It is delicious. It is like pure essence of salmon, with salty overwhelmingness and that pleasant pop that all fish eggs have. I could go on, but I think I will spare you.



The second piece we shared (I'm glad we took it home, because I didn't feel bad gingerly slicing each piece in half so we could both try...) was lobster. Who knows what was on it, but it was so good, we could hardly talk about it. All that was left was this tiny claw:

And salmon that would make a Jewish Delicatessen blush!

These were the best, silkiest salmon pillows we ever ate...


We think this was real crabmeat (not depressingly, flabby crab stick) with white tuna wrapped around it...with green onions and tobiko.
All in all I have to say, Honey, I will never doubt you again. This was up there on the top ten of most memorable meals. And to think it is right in our backyard...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communication is a good thing, most of the time...