Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Brussel sprout lunch.


brussel sprout lunch, originally uploaded by Rcakewalk.

Last night I decided to make some steak, since I have to make way in my deep freeze for the new grass fed beef shipment that is coming shortly. I love having a properly stocked freezer now, and there is nothing better than not knowing what to have for supper and then coming up with something fantastic without leaving the home. I also love that I finally figured out that gas grill, so that even though I was grilling in the dark, it was a snap.

I, of course, am not really ever able to finish a whole steak. I saved it for a lunch, and added it, cubed, to a salad with lots of beets. I intentionally made too many garlic mashed potatoes with high hopes of a Shepard's pie in the next day or two. I haven't eaten brussel sprouts in years, and got some in the Harvest Share CSA box last week. Does this seem like a rather large lunch to you? It was. Lately I've been hungriest at the mid-point of the day, especially if my morning includes a walk. In fact, yesterday I didn't know how I'd have room to have steak for dinner after too large a bowl of leftover Rancho Gordo bean soup garnished with about half a mango. Yet, something miraculous happens each day at sunset (now hovering ridiculously overhead around 4:30), I do get hungry again.

I love that I signed up for the Saveur magazine's once a week online newsletter. It's emailed and loads quickly on the iPod touch, and always has a week of interesting meals to choose from. It was here I found a base recipe here for last night's sauteed brussel sprouts:

(In which you first boil them for about 3-5 minutes until mostly tender, and then drain and cool them to room temperature. When they are cool enough to handle, slice in half. Saute an onion in a bit of butter and olive oil until golden, about 5 minutes, then add in the halved brussel sprouts and saute until beginning to brown, about 5 more minutes. Then toss in a handful of toasted pecans, or any nut really.)

My Husband liked them! I think "not bad" was the actual quote, but the plate was suspiciously cleaned of them, so I'm taking it as a win. I think if bacon was involved, I could have gotten a better quote. Either way, I'm going to try and make these forgotten vegetables more often.

1 comment:

  1. Have you gotten beef from the new Organic Grass Fed beef co-op that drops off in your area? Just read about it last week, and it sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear your report.

    As for those mashed potatoes -- you are a good woman if you can actually end up using leftover mashed potatoes for shepherd's pie. I always have to make them fresh! (something so WRONG about that)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is a good thing, most of the time...